When I first came back to Malaysia after several years abroad, I had so much hope, for myself, my family, and my country. I really did, but not anymore. No, please don't mistaken me with a non-patriotic or an unthankful citizen. I love this country and I could not have appreciated more what our EARLIER leaders have done to provide us with the independence that we have enjoyed for the last 50 years.
Time has changed though. It's now all about personal independence. Getting oneself better off then someone else in order to survive this brutal world. So, what's wrong with that? There is nothing wrong with that, except that when our leaders or politicians share the same notion. That causes them to do what they need to do (and are certainly getting better at it) i.e. getting themselves better off then anyone else, including the citizens; the people that stood the rain and sun to vote for these "leaders" or politicians.
So, that takes me to an old (not so old) story about our Malaysian government wanting to spend RM490 million to build a sports center in East Herts, UK (click here for story). To me, it's way beyond rationalization. I can't comprehend the idea. So, I use it as a reminder to remind me of how silly, idiotic, and corrupt our government is.
Silly: Fly all our athletes to the UK for training? Training in UK weather coz all sports tournaments are played in gloomy wet weather? What about the indoor sports?
Idiotic: Why not use Nicol David as the model? It's not where you train, it's who trains you. She trained in several different places with the best coaches. Why not spend the money to hire the best badminton/hockey/table tennis/athletics/swimming/etc. coaches to train our athletes. Use the money from building the sports center, the athletes' cost of living allowances, flight tickets, etc. to pay for these great coaches. I purposely left out football coz there's no way our football is moving forward as long as it's run by "kaki bangkus".
Corrupt: Who wants to bet that we'll see Azalina more in the UK then seeing her at her ADUN area?
So, whenever we are about to think that our government is looking after us (the common citizens), think about this Great Reminder of how the government is really not.
"True humility is intelligent self respect which keeps us from thinking too highly or too meanly of ourselves. It makes us modest by reminding us how far we have come short of what we can be"
-Ralph W. Sockman-
